It has been said that 70% of our self-talk is negative. Many of us have a set of tapes (or for the younger reader, podcasts) in our head that tell us we’re not good enough, or, nobody would like us if they knew _____. We may also have a doctor or other professionals who labeled us with a diagnosis or multiple diagnoses. Generally, these diagnoses tell us what we can’t do. Constant feedback about what we can’t do leads to more negative self-talk.
The negative tapes don’t just go away when we become a Christian. We must choose where we allow our thoughts to hang out. We can listen to and believe our self-talk, which tends to be disparaging, or we can believe what God says about us.
- You have been born again. We will live forever in God’s kingdom. John 3:3, 16
3 Jesus replied, “Very truly I tell you, no one can see the kingdom of God unless they are born again…16 For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.”
- God remembers your sin no more. All your sins, past, present, and future are wiped away. Psalm 103:12
12 As far as the east is from the west, so far has he removed our transgressions from us.
- God is equipping me to do His will. He is working in us. Hebrews 13:20-21
20 Now may the God of peace, who through the blood of the eternal covenant brought back from the dead our Lord Jesus, that great Shepherd of the sheep, 21 equip you with everything good for doing his will, and may he work in us what is pleasing to him, through Jesus Christ, to whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen.
- He will strengthen us and provide the resources for anything and everything he has called us to do. Philippians 4:13
13 I can do all this through him who gives me strength.
- Christ can do exceedingly more than all you ask or imagine, according to the power that works within us. His dreams are bigger than yours. Ephesians 3:20
20 Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us,
- God generously gives wisdom. Ask for it! James 1:5
5 If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you.
- The Lord is your helper, you don’t have to be afraid of others. Hebrews 13:6
6 So we say with confidence, “The Lord is my helper; I will not be afraid.What can mere mortals do to me?
Next month we will explore how to increase the volume of God’s truth playing in our head. Until then, give yourself a Christmas gift this year – listen to and embrace the word of God.
All Scripture passages, unless otherwise noted are from the New International Version and accessed on http://www.BibleGateway.com